Thursday, January 20, 2011

MY MS, part 2

Thank you for your comments on part 1! I think part 2 should answer some of your questions!
So...my neurologist gave me a 3 day high dose steroid and then put me on a treatment plan where I give myself a shot every other day. We like to refer to this shot as brain juice! The treatment/medication website gives a good explanation of what MS is (which I copied below).
  • The nerve fibers in your central nervous system are covered with a fatty protective coating called myelin.
  • When you get MS, it is believed that your immune system attacks the myelin, leaving scar tissue on the nerve fiber coating. This can cause permanent damage.
The "juice" in the shot then communicates with my immune system to prevent it from attacking the myelin.
The shots don't hurt, but I can get awful bruises which can be sore. The shots go in my leg and then about every 5-7 days Drew gives them to me in my bum! I can also place them in my abdomen and back of my arm. Of course if they could turn this shot into a pill that would be awesome, but it's going good so far!
While we were at the neurologist we talked about us having children. He said that it is absolutely possible and if and when we decide to start trying I should stop the shots 2-3 months beforehand. MS isn't completely genetic or inherited. No one in my family has or had it that we know of and chances of passing it our children if and when we have kids is 10-20%.
The whole kids thing will need its own post!
So, right now I feel good! The symptoms I do still have (slight tingling in my hands, skin sensations on my abdomen and arms) are in no way debilitating or uncomfortable. I know that this will not always be the case but I try not to think about that. No one knows what the future holds!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling good. You're so strong to share this journey with others. Not sure if you're religious, but I am...so I'm sending prayers your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are feeling well despite having some symptoms! I am such a baby around needles - I don't think I'd be able to do the shots myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy thoughts and positive vibes your way missy!

    ReplyDelete